Sept 17 Entrance Slip
This article resonates with me as it speaks upon very similar values to my own approaches to teaching. Open-mindedness, responsibility, and wholeheartedness are timeless and all teachers from any time should be implementing these things into their teaching. Nobody is a perfect teacher, we can always learn from new students and we will always have to adapt our teaching styles with relation to cultural and societal changes. Like in 2026, our values have shifted from in the early 20th century or even the late 19th century. I also agree that reflection on our teaching is important, but finding time to carry out these reflections seem better used adapting within the classrooms. Just like how parents develop a parent's intuition a teacher should develop these senses as they continue in their teaching career, and be able to intuitively improve their methods in accordance to their class of students. The article also happens to point directly to another problem in recent years where teachers have no power in the classroom to implement the changes that are needed since there is no support from the admins. Taking these obstacles into account the best thing a teacher can do at this time is just show and teach with all their hearts and hope that is enough to break through to the kids. As a student who has been through the entire schooling system, there are things I would have wanted teachers to do that would have been helpful for me, but at the same time there are things that I wish the teachers didn't do that still have been helpful for me. So finding this balance of what I believe is "correct" and what is evidently working is very important.
As a teacher candidate, I have only experienced the classroom as a student, but now, I'm on the other side. There are so many things to consider, so many little decisions that are being made intuitively by the experience of the teachers that affect the flow of the class that I will have to think about and learn from my practicum advisors. It really opened my eyes to how little I know in practice, but at the same time, how much I have to consider.
I think that you’ll find yourself developing these intuition over the coming months where you get to try things out in real classrooms. It’s an exciting journey!
ReplyDelete